Dec 11, 2012

New Light

Okay so far all I've written about is how badly I just want to get this year over with and leave to go to college. Obviously, I'm excited. But more than ever, I've never wanted to stay here at home so badly. I think it mostly has to do with how perfect my life is right now. I have amazing people in it and great support and I've just never felt so comfortable in my own skin. I think that this is the year where we realize that we're truly running out of time...that we're about to start an entirely new life, a new path and a new personality. So, it's kind of interesting and incredible to see how people are letting themselves develop in ways that four years ago, we probably would've never predicted. People are really taking initiatives to be who they want to be. 

I'd like to think that this year, I'm one of those people who is trying to make out the best of this year. I'm trying not to let anything get in the way of the happiness of those around me and myself. The fact that I've completely recreated my environment and my perspective in only the first three months of senior year makes me wonder about how much more I can make of New York City. This brings me back to my initial thought...I am going to really miss this place. I don't know if if I'll miss the city itself but I think I'll definitely regret not being able to take full advantage of the city. I mean, I still have time left. But New York City is vast and unimaginably never-ending. So, it's difficult to say that I will ever be fully satisfied with how much I've seen of it. 

That's the wonder of NYC. It's the city that doesn't sleep. And perhaps it doesn't sleep because the people in it just don't want to. Every moment of sleep means a moment wasted of taking advantage of its streets, of its people, of its diversity...of its marvels. It keeps us awake. It keeps us alive. It keeps us hungry to discover more of everything around us. And yes, I think that this addiction to learning and exploring is definitely reflected in how people develop their personalities in this city. We are always trying to discover new people and explore new personalities. This city has shaped me. It has taught me that there is never a right answer...there is always a surprise just waiting for you down an alleyway or around a corner. This makes me think that no matter what, we'll always be shocked at points in our live;  there will always be surprises. We don't have all the answers. We will never truly understand ourselves. That's the beauty of it.  We can be who we want to be. New York City has let me do that. And because of this, I will miss this city. I will miss my home.









No comments:

Post a Comment