Aug 21, 2012

I Was Here (United Nations World Humanitarian Day Perform...



I don't care how famous this video is right now. I try my hardest to push myself as far away from what is "pop" and in style. But shit, this video deserves as many likes and views as it possibly can. A lot of people compare Beyoncé to Rihanna, Lady Gaga etc. I really don't think she stands on the same level. Whenever I watch Beyoncé act, sing or dance, I'm always stunned by the amount of sincerity and passion she carries in her eyes, her expressions and her body language. I was asked today by someone what this song even meant. It's very simple: she expresses a level of insecurity and fear in regards to leaving this planet without leaving her own "footprint." And wow, that is relatable as hell. To know that most people on this planet are born, grow, wake up, go to sleep, and leave this earth without making much of an impact on the 7 billion human beings in the planet is a real esteem downer. For her to then share this song and compare it to the fear of those who work in the U.N. of not being able to help those in need was incredibly moving. Having been basically raised at the United Nations International School, I know that those who stand on the podium of the General Assembly only got to that spot because they were worthy of it. I'm in complete support of the I Was Here project. I hope that as I grow older, I take on some responsibilities as an activist. So, I congratulate Beyoncé for successfully passing on her message on behalf of the I Was Here project because from this day on, I will always keep in mind that my ultimate goal should and will always be to help someone out and make my mark on this earth. Thanks to this video, I believe that one day, if many people follow in these footsteps, that our marks will ripple out beyond us and in the end will, in fact, make an impact on the 7 billion (and growing) people in this world. One day, I will look back and know that if I make a difference with even one person, it will be "everything that I wanted and it was more than I thought it would be."

It's rare that one really looks into a song and understands it nowadays and feels as though one can truly relate to it. Because of this sole reason, I will forever and always love "I Was Here" by Beyoncé Knowles.

No comments:

Post a Comment