Dec 16, 2013

Possibilities

One of the things that this new experience at university has taught me is to not be afraid of anything novel. After being in a new country, which regardless of being so close to the US still has many different customs, I have this new hunger to travel and work. I have these plans for the next three or four years and I'm just ridiculously excited for what's in store. Even though I love what I'm studying and I have a burning passion for Psychology, I can't picture myself studying for three or four years straight. So yes, a gap year is something that I'm definitely contemplating. And after that producer messaged me looking to create an album, I decided that music is a part of me and that I can't just ignore it regardless of being a full time student. After getting into music this semester, I really would like to dedicate myself completely to music for a semester or two. So yes, that is a potential idea for a gap year. It would be a different yet good experience for me I think. It's nice and inspiring to be constantly surrounded by people who love music. My RA matched the "music kids" into two floors. Walking onto my floor and hearing guitars and singers…it's definitely grown on me. But what I truly want to thank them for is giving me the confidence this semester to actually explore what I really love. I had a hard semester. There were a lot of things going on, things that I didn't lead a lot of people on about. In fact, the past five months have just been really rough. Sometimes I listen to people on the radio and TV say that music "saved their lives." I always thought that was a little melodramatic. And maybe music hasn't literally saved my life, but it has definitely become what I displace all my energy into. And this energy includes all the bad energy and despair that I had to deal with this semester. I know that it's going to get a lot harder next semester but the only thing that has got me coming back is the fact that I now have something to rely on; something that I know will make me completely happy all the time. For a while there, I lost my way. I didn't know what I wanted and I didn't know what my priorities were. But after I got back into music and I moved to Canada, I realized that there is more to the world--more to me--than I had even anticipated. Sometimes it's easy to believe that you can't move past the things that you think define you. But it's possible. It's possible to gather enough strength to break free from the things that may confine you. It's okay to reach out to something new. So, this next semester is to escaping what confines me. It's to not letting specific things define me. This next semester is not about relying on others or other things; it's about relying on me

No comments:

Post a Comment