Apr 15, 2013

Undecided

So now that I've decided to go to McGill University, people have moved on from asking me "Where are you going to college?" Instead, they are asking me: "What are you planning on studying?" And every single time, I answer: "I have no idea." Generally, people just look at me with a seriously dubious and scolding look, probably thinking that I'm just a completely misguided and naïve child. It is so difficult nowadays to honestly know what you want to do as a living. Every single day, there are new careers being made. As our population increases, so does the amount of opportunities for general survival. Therefore, do I know what I'm going to do at all? Not at all and I seem to be the only one perfectly okay with that. I think that has a lot to do with the program that I've been integrated in for the past two years: the International Baccalaureate  They basically make you take classes in every field. And every single course has its challenges in one way or another. Considering I really love challenges, it's safe to say that I've learned to love each and everyone classes no matter how much I bitch and groan about how tiring and difficult they are. Literature has introduced texts to me that I never thought I'd encounter such as Equus by Peter Shaffer or Perfume by Patrick Süskind. Spanish has allowed me to actually get in touch with people that are from my culture. My spanish teacher alone is probably the most influential teacher that I've ever had. Psychology was probably my most arduous class and yet, I probably appreciate that class the most for it opened me up to a class unlike any others. Needless to say, biology and philosophy are by far the classes that I hate the most just because they posed the most obstacles in my 11th grade and 12th grade years. And yet, I don't think I'll ever look back on these years of my high school experience and say that I learned nothing in those classes. In fact, biology and philosophy have caused me to look at life entirely different. The entire unit of evolution in biology made me rethink every single aspect of living around me. And that is what biology is all about...studying life. And philosophy...I don't even need to elaborate how that has influenced me. An entire semester of ethics was absolute hell for me but I'll never be able to stand quiet in a debate on ethics. Nietzsche has thankfully done that for me. 

One of the questions that one of my peers asked me to reflect on was along the lines of the following: What has UNIS done for you? What will you taking away from this high school experience. 

UNIS, you have left me completely open-minded. I am not confused about what I will do in the future. I am so undecided, it's ridiculous. And I am so proud of that. I will never feel empty or upset with what I'll be doing in the years to come because UNIS has taught me to embrace everything around me. I am so excited for the next years. I am now always looking forward. That's what you have done. Thank you, UNIS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment