Oct 19, 2012

"It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace." 
-Chuck Palahniuk


I never really understand why it got harder and harder for me to remember the really great periods in my life. Have you ever realized how much more difficult it is to pinpoint the moment when you were happiest than it is to remember the darkest point of your life? I think you do always remember the value of that happiness, however. What stays with you forever is the quality of a person you were when you were happiest. You'll always remember certain precise moments and every happy moment will flush back. But it's so hard to compare which moment was happiest because happiness is something that is bunched together. There is no way to pinpoint exactly what makes you happy because a variety things make us happy. The amount of things that make us upset and angry is much more limited. 

I wish I could remember certain memories. Like Palahniuk says, I wish I could remember what those states of peace feel like. I really do think that that is what we strive for. We strive to reach those moments of harmony and remember what it's like all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment