Aug 26, 2012

A Few Songs (Gonna keep adding to this)

If anyone reads my blog or really knows me then they know that I have an infatuation with music. That much is evident. My friends often tease me for singing so much and my mom is always calling me a "little bird" because I'm always whistling or humming inside the house. But a lot of the time, I catch myself just listening to a song and not really connecting to it. It's one thing to listen to a song and become attached to it...that would just be a really catchy melody. But to feel elevated and just completely overwhelmed by a song is something that I've only felt around two times. And, to be honest, I don't think these artists are well known for their songs at all. Actually, they're typically "lame" in the sense that they're strange genres and nobody really listens to them. In other words, they're not "pop".

The first time I ever felt it was with the song "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" by Snow Patrol. I kind of have a guilty pleasure when it comes to music and that guilty pleasure is when a guy and a girl mesh together singing. A lot of people think its too distracting and its hard to figure out who is more prominent in the song etc etc. But I think that it's actually really appealing and when done right, can be really harmonic. In "Set the Fire to the Third Bar", the fact that there is both a man and a woman singing makes the song all the more romantic. Had only one of them sung it, I think I would've believed the song a lot less as that of a romance and more of just another sad sappy story. The chorus is inexplicable (well, at least for me). It has the most elevating pick up. Whenever the word "arms" is said, the editor does a cool "heavenly" effect...he makes the word linger away from the chorus and it actually sounds really beautiful.


The second song that I felt the sameish feeling with was "(Kissed You) Good Night by Gloriana. Now, this song is completely cheesy. It is such a young girl's song. But again, this song has both a girl and guy in it and maybe that's why I liked it so much. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of country and I think that the instruments are actually great. The music industry lately has been so fabricated in the sense that everything is either literally composed off a computer (ex: garage band). And to hear raw instruments is kind of refreshing. I'm not really into country and to be perfectly honest, the lyrics in this song are not the best...but their voices are perfect for the melodies and because of that, I felt INCREDIBLY attached to the song. It was just really nice to listen to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment