Mar 31, 2012

First Day College Touring: Vassar College

I love the city of Poughkeepsie in Upstate New York. I have some great memories of it...halloween pumpkins at every corner, every block. They would light up the streets, and the headlights of the cars ongoing the road would shimmer the pumpkins and they would smile at us, glistening with whiteness. Poughkeepsie was a town of play. You could hop up on your bike and ride the curves and hills of the small yet vast city. 

I came back for the first time in about 6 years and I realized the vulnerability of memory. I guess that I am very timid when it comes to accepting any memories of my past as bad ones. And well, I must've reconstructed my memory of Poughkeepsie because when I got back, I can honestly say that I was really disappointed. Either that or it has changed a lot. It is still beautiful, green, and quiet...like the small suburban city that I remembered it to be. Vassar College was amazing; it's great rep speaks for itself. It was full, however, as if nobody wanted to leave the secluded campus. But Poughkeepsie... it was too quiet; you could say it was almost dead. And the people just didn't seem happy. No wonder the Vassar Brewers wouldn't really leave. 
Either everything in Poughkeepsie has changed or my memory has. 
My nostalgia induces my love for it and that will always remain; but man, the soil is worn out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment