May 15, 2011

Puerto Rico and Colombia


There are many people that despise their countries. I, on the other hand, cannot come close to saying that about either of my parent's countries.

Puerto Rico is a paradise. It is a tiny country, with beaches everywhere you go. I have been to Puerto Rico so many times that when going there, all my mom and I do is rent a car, and literally just go to our favorite places. However, two years ago, I went to the most beautiful place I've ever been to in Puerto Rico and any other country as well. It is called Culebra. It is an even tinier island that pertains to the Puerto Rican country. I stayed in a homey-feeling hotel that didn't have wifi or computers. Being a city girl, at first, I believed it would be extremely hard. However, I had one of the best times of my life. We rented a jeep and drove around in less than an hour around the entire island. Finally, we found a secluded beach whose waters were clearer than anything you'll ever find. When touching the water, I did not feel an inch of fear or hesitation. The waters are unbelievable magic on that island, unless viewed or touched.

Colombia is threatening paradise. Being one of the most dangerous countries in the world, one cannot walk the streets without feeling as though there is a "shadow following," as my uncle puts it. However, Colombia's people is like one big family. Everyone is friendly and social, unlike what you'll find in America. Big families that colonized there, will always stay there and when going back, one will find traces of ancestors and will discover new cousins and distant relatives. Music is a big part of Colombia's culture. El tango, el merengue, la musica...te persigue.

The beauty of both: Home.





No comments:

Post a Comment