Nov 11, 2010


for the last 5 years my dad was unemployed because of the job crisis that started after 9/11. during this past summer he got offered a job back at our home country, colombia. he left, and i was perfectly fine with it because i knew that he would be happier and even though we'd miss each other, it'd be worth it in the end cause i knew he'd feel accomplished. there have been so many good things that have come out of this such as the fact that i can travel to colombia more now whenever i want when i wish to see him. there are also some bad things that are quite obvious...the lack of seeing him. about two years ago i was going through that stupid teenage crisis shit where i didn't appreciate my parents. but i've changed that and this situation of living miles away from my father makes me appreciate them to a degree that is unexplainable unless put in this position.

today, i was walking home from school and my mom called me and asked me where i was. i told her that i was getting to second avenue and i would be home in about 5 or 10 minutes. i found it strange that she was asking since she knows my schedule. i put down the phone but i became curious and called her back asking why she was asking, which she responded to by telling me that she simply wanted to meet up with me with her friend while walking my dog but that there was no point now since i was almost home. i remember wondering to myself if she was lying or not. in a matter of minutes i arrived home, said hi to my mom and went to my desk where i logged onto facebook and became distracted by the internet. i remember hearing my mom open the door and leaving and thinking to myself that she was just doing the recycling. when the door reopened at her return, i didn't bother to turn around but out of nowhere i heard, "paola." however, this was not my mother's voice so i turned around and saw my father. i jumped out of my seat and began tearing up as i yelled the single word that has made my day, "papa."

No comments:

Post a Comment